Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Middletown's Medieval Fonts

I've completed my pedestrian overview of Middletown's medieval fonts from 1868 to 1969. The sample includes 10 buildings scattered across a century of writing on the wall. I have shown images and drawings of the evidence, but I have not ventured into any historical interpretations. I find some interesting threads and transitions from one period to the next. Obviously, further analytical work would be needed to draw conclusions. It would be interesting, for example, to collate the building inscriptions with funerary monuments.

1868: Memorial Chapel
1870: Judd Hall
1871: First Congregational Church
1874: Russell Library
1893: Psi Ypsilon Fraternity
1894: Middletown High School
1926: Chi Psi Fraternity
1932: Portland Brownstone Intermediate School
1930s: Middletown Central School
1969: Stonycrest Towers

Medieval Fonts 1920s-1930s
Blackletter and Uncial
Prior Tomb


Although I'll be revisiting some of these inscriptions, I have moved away from Middletown. My new residence is Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I've only been here for a day. Nevertheless, I'm thrilled to see that Lancaster's historical architecture dwarves that of Middletown. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Kostis Kourelis

Philadelphia, PA, United States